Cherry Picker Hire vs Scaffold Hire
Whether you are a property owner who needs to undertake repairs or a commercial business that needs to use an elevated work platform on a building, you will need to research Cherry Picker Hire vs Scaffold Hire.
When it comes to high-reach access platforms, many people think of scaffold hire as the only solution. However, in many cases, using a cherry picker can be faster, cheaper and more appropriate for the job.
What is a scaffold?
Scaffolds are work structures set up to support access and working platforms. Scaffolds are used in construction work to provide workers with safe and stable work platforms.
Scaffolding hire is a complex structure of individual components. These components are tubes, couplers, frames and materials that, when assembled, form a scaffold.
This type of work is to be undertaken by a person holding an approved class of high-risk work license. Therefore, this definition applies whenever the term ‘scaffolding work’ is used in this guide.
Cherry Picker Hire vs Scaffolding Hire:
Originally, The cherry picker was designed for fruit picking. Over time, the cherry picker has had many technological advancements. Now they are one of the most versatile and efficient pieces of EWP equipment. In fact, a cherry picker specialises in reaching hard-to-access areas that are difficult to get to and maintain.
Do you want to engage in gutter cleaning or fascia repair? Hiring a cherry picker can provide you with the needed elevated work platform to complete these jobs. Using a cherry picker instead of a ladder, or a makeshift scaffolding structure is an efficient and safe alternative.
Ease of Use and Setup:
When considering ease of setup & use, the cherry picker wins over a traditional scaffold. Traditional scaffold hire setup can take hours. By hiring a truck-mounted cherry picker, you can quickly move the work platform to where you need it. There is very little setup required with a cherry picker. This means that removing the elevated work platform setup is also easy. Cherry pickers include manoeuvrable work bucket platforms that are controlled by a hydraulic arm. It can be controlled and positioned from the ground or from the work bucket. On the other hand, traditional scaffolding hire setups are difficult and take hours to erect. Scaffolding setups take more than one person and can be costly.
When hiring a cherry picker is better than scaffolding hire:
- If a job requires one or two people to complete the work.
- If the work required does not take a significant amount of time to complete. (eg, days or weeks)
- If the work is in hard-to-reach or obscure places.
- If you have a limited window of opportunity to complete the job (eg, a busy road, or limited times of the day).
Applications and Duration of Use:
These are just some of the applications for hiring a cherry picker:
- Signage installation or maintenance
- Telephone and power line maintenance
- Building construction and maintenance
- Installation of security cameras
These applications have short-term work durations. Cherry Pickers move between locations until the work is completed, making them highly efficient.
Scaffolding hire cost varies based on these factors:
- The height and size of the work area.
- Number of scaffold levels required.
- Whether there is a need for scaffolding roof cover.
- Access issues.
- If there is a need to bridge areas.
- The quality and quantity of materials.
- Your geographical location.
Scaffolding requires materials that will impact the cost of hire. You need to take into account these material requirements when choosing between a cherry picker and scaffolding.
- Tube and Coupler component
- prefabricated modular system
- H-frame/facade modular system
When working on any elevated platform, it is imperative that you adhere to safety requirements and guidelines.
Working in a lofty position comes with many risks. These risks can sometimes result in accidents and injuries. To avoid or limit such risks, companies often implement strict safety guidelines and standards for workers.
- During boom extension, do not move the vehicle.
- Workers should check and wear the restraining belt and/or harness.
- Maintain clearance between the picker and any potential overhead hazards.
- Always treat power lines as live or energized and maintain distance.
- Engage the wheel brake and deploy the outriggers before any boom operation.
- Monitor the vehicle/boom load limits and then plan accordingly.
A cherry picker is a great alternative to scaffolding hire in many situations. These include maintenance and repair of hard-to-reach areas. The first step is to evaluate the task at hand. This should be based on the abovementioned parameters. Through evaluating the task, you can decide on whether it is best accomplished by hiring a cherry picker.
If you have any questions about hiring a cherry picker, give us a call today. We are happy to help you decide what the best solution is for your application.
Quick Lift Qld Pty Ltd provides a fully qualified licensed operator with every Cherry Picker Hire. Any Cherry Picker that has a capacity over 11m requires a fully certified operator to manage the machine under all circumstances. We will provide a set of safety harnesses, witches hats, safety signs and tool buckets to assist you with your works.